The digital age that we live in is fast-paced, and while you may find it a struggle to keep up to date with the technology that is available for you in your personal life, when it comes to your business, it is a whole different matter. There are so many options available to you, and you need to be able to make a sound decision that will positively impact on your business, it’s productivity and efficiency.
The market is saturated with technology and software that is designed to make life easier for you, but are you using your business’s tech efficiently?
How to Analyse the Needs of the Business
As a business, you need to focus on the technology that is mandatory for you to perform your core activities and grow the business, so the first thing you need to be very clear about is what you need the technology to do. What are the main functions that you need it to perform? The key to understanding your needs is to ask these questions:
- What do you already do well at?
- What do you need to do better?
You need to be quite brutal in your assessment, but it is essential for you to understand where the pain points are. Your team is best placed to provide you with this information, and so it is a good plan to ask them to record how they spend their time performing specific tasks for a week and to note any areas that they feel that they are being stalled.
Note: You need to make it clear that this is not an exercise in assessing team time management skills or monitoring their activities per se, but rather a way to assess how to benefit their workflow.
Once you have collated the responses, you more than likely will receive some information that you weren’t expecting.
- Email – Are your team spending too much time responding to emails? You need to review how your business communicates. Are the emails from customers? Can communication be reduced by updating your website information? Or are the emails internal? Do you need a collaboration solution for your team?
- Software – Is the software that you use intuitive for the team to use? Are team members facing problems accessing and using information in an efficient way? It makes financial sense to invest in business-critical software that saves you time. For example, if circuit board design is core to your business, CircuitStudio gives you the ability to work multiple schematic sheets with a logical organization. The software that you choose must be intuitive and easy to use.
- Internet and Wi-fi speeds- Is the speed of the internet creating a bottleneck and affecting the team’s workflow? Even if your business is located rurally, you should be able to improve its speed by contacting your provider, a scalable solution that will grow with the future demands of your business is the ideal.
It can be easy to get caught up in the day to day operations of your business and not give tech efficiency a second thought; however, tech and business efficiency are vital for you to be able to gain the competitive edge and provide your clients and customers with a quality service.